Thursday, March 1, 2012

I'm OK with my kid hitting...

Yes, I said it. I think I'm OK with my kid hitting...
but here's the story:

Yesterday while I was enjoying my lunch at Tijuana Flats (shout out!) I got a text from TJ saying that Colin had been placed in time-out while he was at school. It was his first trip to time-out while at school... he's usually really quiet (at school) and generally not a problem. My first reaction was shock: my child? at school? Here's the conversation that followed:

Me: Why?
TJ: He hit Mateo (his classmate)
Me: Arg. Did he give a reason? (hoping there was one!)
TJ: He said Mateo was hitting someone else so he hit him.


Oh.... well then. I feel completely different about that...
I'm kind of OK with my kid standing up for someone who was being bullied.

Before we get too far down this road though: Yes, TJ talked to him that it's not OK to hit other people. Yes, he was helping someone, but using words should always be first option. But really, I'm proud of Colin for standing up for someone else. And, no, Colin didn't tell the teacher about the other kid hitting (it really is the second hitter that gets busted) - he just took the punishment like a big boy.

I never thought I would say it; but my kid his a hitter, and I'm OK with that!

No comments: